Assessing your board’s performance is the first step to improving it.
THE BIG IDEA FROM THE BOOK: Church boards rarely take time to self-assess their governance performance. They either don’t realize the need to do so—or are too busy tackling whatever may be the most urgent agenda items that pop up whenever the next board meeting rolls around.
Instead, regularly investing in targeted self-assessments on the six key governance elements highlighted in the free ChurchBoardScore™ tool by ECFA will pay dividends in increasing your church board’s effectiveness!
MY FAVORITE INSIGHTS from pages 219-224:
• As Rick Warren says, “The secret to effectiveness is to know what really counts, then do what really counts, and not to worry about all the rest.”
• Don’t underestimate the power of intentionality in your board work—clear agendas, Board Policies Manual, Prime Responsibility Chart, 80/20 focus on strategy, and more!
• “Progress starts only when you are clear on where you are right now. You may discern that the board is under-performing in a certain area, but until the board has a laser focus on the problem, it will be difficult to take action.”
MY COLOR COMMENTARY:
One of my favorite calls at ECFA this year came from a senior pastor who had just taken the ChurchBoardScore™ self-assessment. He was so grateful for the experience that he couldn’t wait to share it with his entire board in an upcoming retreat that weekend.
ChurchBoardScore™ gave these leaders an opportunity (and excuse!) to enter into much-needed discussion together about ways the board could collectively improve in the six critical governance areas. I’m so grateful a transformative tool like this now exists and is free to churches everywhere!
Whatever you do, don’t miss this bonus lesson that provides an incredible capstone learning experience from all the great wisdom shared by Dan and John in Lessons from the Church Boardroom.
THIS WEEK’S QUOTES & COMMENTARY BY MICHAEL MARTIN:
MICHAEL MARTIN serves as executive vice president of ECFA. He oversees the compliance team, with a passion for helping churches and ministries maintain high standards of financial integrity through ECFA membership. Michael also uses his training as an attorney and CPA to contribute to ECFA’s many practical educational resources, including books, webinars, videos, podcasts, and more.
Michael has been privileged to support several key ECFA initiatives since 2011, including the Commission on Accountability and Policy for Religious Organizations and the launch of the ECFA church website and the ChurchEXCEL free resource community.
Beginning with the 2013 edition, Michael joined Dan Busby as a co-author of the annual Zondervan Minister’s Tax & Financial Guide and the Zondervan Church and Nonprofit Tax & Financial Guide.
• Visit ChurchBoardScore™ and take a few minutes to complete the free online self-assessment.
• Share your experience and a link to ChurchBoardScore™ with your board chair to circulate the self-assessment tool among the rest of your board.
• Visit the ECFA Knowledge Center and read and share the bonus resource, “How Healthy Is Your Board?”
ORDER THE BOOK TODAY!